Open to all Bay Area Artists: September Salon Show
“Language and Letters”
Entry Deadline: AUGUST 3
Show: SEPTEMBER 10 – OCTOBER 5
San Francisco Women Artists (SFWA) invites all Bay Area artists (male and female) to submit work for this juried exhibition. The theme for this show is “Language and Letters” – Letters, numbers, and symbols from gibberish to text including found or collaged imagery such as posters, signs, labels, and books. From fortune cookies to gravestone inscriptions, ancient ruins to skywriting. Collage elements might include printed matter, sewn additions, and calligraphic components.(For further inspiration see examples of these artists work: Diego Rivera, Barbara Kruger, Larry Rivers, Nancy Spero, Kara Walker, Roy Lichtenstein, Bonnie Maclean.)
Juror: Rhiannon MacFadyen, Curator, Consultant, SF Project-Based Artist
- SUBMISSION DATES: 7/13/19 – 8/3/19.
No work submitted after this date will be considered.
All submissions must be done online.
- ACCEPTANCE* NOTIFICATION DATE:by Friday, August 9
- ARTWORK RECEIVING DATES: Saturday, September 7th, from 3:00 – 5:00; or Sunday, September 8th, from 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- EXHIBITION DATES: Tuesday, September 10th – Saturday, October 5th
- OPENING RECEPTION DATE: Thursday, September 12th, 5:30 – 8:00 PM
- FEES: Entry fee is $45 for up to 3 entries. SFWA Members may use the member fee of $30 for up to 3 entries – you will receive your Member Discount code via email. Use the code you have been sent after logging in. Learn more about becoming an SFWA member here. Entries are not refundable. Fees must be paid online at time of submission. Fee payment does not guarantee that any/all artworks submitted for jurying will be included in this exhibition.
ART SIZE: Maximum width for show submissions is 50 inches, INCLUDING FRAME. *Contact the gallery to request an exception for the width limit.
PREVIOUSLY EXHIBITED ARTWORK: Artists are welcome to submit artworks previously exhibited in the gallery after a period of six months.
HANGING REQUIREMENT: All artwork must be ready to install with hanging wire The wire should be low enough to be hung without the hanging hook showing above the frame, and just loose enough for the wire to be pulled over the hook. Note: any work that requires special installation (i.e. wood or metal prints) must have gallery approval in advance. Please review the Hanging Instructions and the Wall Art Receiving Check List
ARTWORK: SFWA cannot accept responsibility for damage incurred to art that is vulnerable or fragile (i.e. unprotected photographs; prints on metal, wood or acrylic; or other specialty art.)
PRICING: It is important to price your artwork appropriately; prices that are too high or too low impact the credibility of our gallery and the artist. Here are three helpful links for setting prices: ArtBusiness.com, Xanadu Gallery podcast on pricing and ArtistDaily.com
Note: Once the Submission Deadline has passed, you will not be able to adjust artwork title, medium, or price by contacting SFWA. Give yourself time to think it through, or get advice, especially on the price, before the deadline. If your normal medium is not listed, please let us know and we will add it in as a category.
*For complex or special art processes: Use the ‘Notes’ section in Smarter Entry to describe unusual or complex process, techniques, or materials used in your artwork. This aids the gallery staff in discussing and selling your work. Mixed media and encaustic artworks, for example, may benefit from more description of their process.
* IMPORTANT: Acceptance by the juror does not guarantee acceptance by the gallery. Please be sure to read the HANGING INSTRUCTIONS and the Wall Art Receiving Check List before bringing art to the gallery.