Member Call for Entries : August Gallery Exhibit
Entry Deadline: JUNE 26
Show: AUGUST 2 – 27
SFWA members are invited to submit up to 3 entries to our August Gallery exhibition. The theme for this show is BOLD. COLORS! — “strong hues; neon and electric tones; powerful and graphic; unexpected combinations.”Both 2D & 3D/mixed media works are welcomed for submission to this show.
JUROR: Christine Koppes, Curator and Director of Public Programs, San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art
FEES: Entry fee is $30 for up to 3 entries. Fees must be paid online at time of submission. Fee payment does not guarantee that any/all artworks submitted for jurying will be included in this exhibition.
SUBMISSIONS: 6/5/21 – 6/26/21.
No work submitted outside of that period will be considered.
All submissions must be done online.
NOTIFICATION*: Email by Friday, July 2nd
ART DROP OFF: Friday, July 30th, from 11:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Saturday, July 31st from 11:30 AM – 3:00 PM
EXHIBITION: August 3 – 27th, 2021
WALL ART SIZE LIMIT: Maximum width for show submissions is 50 inches, INCLUDING FRAME. *Contact the gallery to request an exception for the width limit.
REQUIREMENTS FOR 3D ARTWORK:
- Standing sculpture must have a flat base & fit securely onto a 16×16″ pedestal base.
- Bas relief works need to be gallery ready for installation
- For free-standing sculpture, contact the gallery prior to submission
- Fragile or unstable pieces will not be accepted at gallery receiving
HANGING REQUIREMENT: All artwork must be ready to install with hanging wire The wire should be low enough to be hung without the hanging hook showing above the frame, and just loose enough for the wire to be pulled over the hook. NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS! Note: any work that requires special installation (i.e. wood or metal prints) must have gallery approval in advance. Please review the Hanging Instructions and the Wall Art Receiving Check List
LIABILITY: SFWA cannot accept responsibility for damage incurred to art that is vulnerable or fragile (i.e. unprotected photographs; prints on metal, wood or acrylic; or other specialty art.)
PRICING: It is important to price your artwork appropriately; prices that are too high or too low impact the credibility of our gallery and the artist. Here are three helpful links for setting prices: ArtBusiness.com, Xanadu Gallery podcast on pricing and ArtistDaily.com
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ:
1. Once the Submission Deadline has passed, you will not be able to adjust artwork title, medium, or price by contacting SFWA. Give yourself time to think it through, or get advice, especially on the price, before the deadline. If your normal medium is not listed, please let us know and we will add it in as a category.
2. For complex or special art processes: Use the ‘Notes’ section in the submission form to describe unusual or complex process, techniques, or materials used in your artwork. This aids the gallery staff in discussing and selling your work. Mixed media and encaustic artworks, for example, may benefit from more description of their process.
3. Per 1 and 2 above, the title, size including frame, and description will be used for the posting your accepted work in the Online Shop. Please use the Notes section in the submission form to explain what you want online viewers to see.
4. Acceptance by the juror does not guarantee acceptance by the gallery. Please be sure to read the HANGING INSTRUCTIONS and the Wall Art Receiving Check List before bringing art to the gallery.