Open Call for Entries: October Gallery Show
“Loving Golden Gate Park”
Submissions: JULY 1 – AUGUST 26
Gallery Exhibit: OCTOBER 3 – NOVEMBER 4
San Francisco Women Artists (SFWA) invites all Bay Area artists (male and female) to submit works based on San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park for this juried gallery exhibition. Funded through SF Grants for the Arts, the Loving Golden Gate Park exhibition will provide local artists an exciting opportunity to showcase their work in SFWA’s spacious gallery located in the vibrant Inner Sunset bordering Golden Gate Park.
Founded in the 1870’s, our treasured Golden Gate Park is three miles long and a half mile wide; nestled within its thousand plus acres are many flower gardens and dedicated groves, expansive playgrounds, hidden lakes, and an array of cultural/historical monuments, including renowned public venues such as the de Young Museum, the Academy of Sciences, the Japanese Tea Garden, Stow Lake and the Botanical Gardens. Explore, be inspired and create something you love and wish to share about our Golden Gate Park.
Juror: Matt McKinley, Curator and Art Consultant, McKinley Art Solutions
Juror’s Award: A $150 check will be presented to each of the three works that express the most imaginative interpretation of the theme.
- FEES: Entry fee is $45 for up to 3 entries. SFWA Members may use the member fee of $30 for up to 3 entries. Use the Member discount code you have been sent after logging in. Learn more about becoming an SFWA member here. Entries are not refundable. Fees must be paid online at time of submission. Fee payment does not guarantee that any/all artworks submitted for jurying will be included in this exhibition.
- ART SIZE: Maximum width for show submissions is 50 inches, INCLUDING FRAME. *Contact the gallery to request an exception for the width limit.
- HANGING REQUIREMENT: All artwork must be ready to install with hanging wire. Note: any work that requires special installation (i.e. wood or metal prints) must have gallery approval in advance. Hanging Instructions. Presentation Checklist.
- ARTWORK: SFWA cannot accept responsibility for damage incurred to art that is vulnerable or fragile (i.e. unprotected photographs; prints on metal, wood or acrylic; or, other specialty art.)
- PRICING: It is important to price your artwork appropriately; prices that are too high or too low impact the credibility of our gallery and the artist. Here are three helpful links for setting prices: ArtBusiness.com, Xanadu Gallery podcast on pricing and ArtistDaily.com
- Sales commission is 35%. Artists receive 65% for sold artwork.
- SUBMISSION DATES: 7/1/17 – 8/26/17.
No work submitted outside of that period will be considered.
All submissions must be done online.
- ACCEPTANCE* NOTIFICATION DATE: September 8, 2017.
- RECEIVING DATES: Saturday, September 30, from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM or Sunday, October 1, from 9:00 to 11:00 AM
- EXHIBITION DATES: Tuesday, October 3 through Saturday, November 4
- OPENING RECEPTION DATE: Thursday, October 5, 5:30 – 8:00 PM
* IMPORTANT: Acceptance by the juror does not guarantee acceptance by the gallery. Please be sure to read the HANGING INSTRUCTIONS and the PRESENTATION CHECKLIST before bringing art to the gallery. Works not gallery-ready, that differ significantly from entry images, suffer substandard presentation, or are replicas of the original artwork will be disqualified.
About SFWA: Each month, SFWA presents a juried exhibition that brings a new collection of work to the Gallery, featuring contemporary art, including a rich variety of ceramics, sculpture, and jewelry created by local artists.
Note: Another current competition is related to this grant: SFWA Art Banners.